The Truth About Cartago


 

Then Job answered and the Lord and said, 

" I know that you can do all things, 

And that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 

'Who is this that hides council without knowledge?' 

Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, 

Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know." 

'Hear, now, and I will speak;

 I will ask You, and You instruct me.' 

"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; 

But now my eye sees You; 

Therefore I retract, 

And I repent in dust and ashes." 

Job42:1-6


I first heard of the Basilica of Our Lady of the Angels in Cartago, Costa Rica about ten years ago. The basilica displays a miraculous rock that was found in the area. You can find more information about it here:  https://www.entercostarica.com/attractions/hidden-treasures/basilica-of-our-lady-of-angels

Ten years ago, a group of people who truly love our Lord had a mission trip to Costa Rica to evangelize and decided to stop by the basilica. They were not impressed. In fact, they felt uncomfortable and disturbed. They said that Jesus was put to the side and it was the Blessed Virgin who was the center of the whole place, that Mary was more important than Jesus. 

This is a pretty common misconception for Catholics, so the first thought I had was, "There probably must have been a misunderstanding. No way would Jesus be put aside, making Mary more important." But I was intrigued, and questioned it anyway. I decided to look online and only found a YouTube video of people walking on their knees from the outside going inside to the altar. There wasn't enough information to research yet. Although I never thought I would ever go, I always had it in the back of my mind. 

As we were telling our friends of our new post in Costa Rica, one had reminded me of her time at the Basilica. Again, she said she had an eerie feeling, which made my stomach turn again, questioning God if it could be possible that we are leading people away from Jesus. 

To be honest, I didn't think we would even have an opportunity to go, but when we went to pick up a few brothers and sisters from the airport in San Jose, I thought maybe we could make a detour and check it out. It was kind of selfish on my part, but I wanted to know the truth. I shared my thoughts with those we picked up, who also love and dedicate their lives to the Lord. They were excited to go. :) 

Before leaving, I was begging God for truth, clarity, and peace, no matter what I found there. The day before we left, I tried to go to Confession, but the priest was sick. I thought to myself, "Maybe my confession will be in Cartago. We will see."  

I was a little nervous when we got there. The outside didn't look too crazy, just a large church - one that you know local people put a lot of effort and sacrifice into. As I entered, I saw many statues of past Christians, now Saints, who ultimately dedicated their lives to our Lord. Tears came to my eyes as I recalled these great role models of the faith ahead of me. There were also statues of the different images of Jesus, deep, historical devotions from the past. It took my breath away already. I purposely didn't look at the front right away, though. I didn't want to ruin the moment I guess. :) 

Chris came to me and told me a priest was offering Reconciliation. :)  Awesome! I had my Spanish notes ready! As I was waiting in line, I would peak at the front of the church. I saw the famous miraculous rock, but I couldn't find the tabernacle. All Catholics know that tabernacles are usually in the front of the church. If not in the center, on the side a bit, but still up front. This is where the body of Christ Jesus is held. I saw red underneath the rock, but I couldn't clearly see anything resembling a tabernacle. (I also wasn't wearing my glasses, which wasn't all that helpful either.) 

I tried asking the people in line if there was a tabernacle up front underneath the rock, but no one could understand me. (I know this because they were just looking at each other, shrugged their shoulders, and said, "Si. Si.")

It was finally my turn with the priest. During my time with this beautiful servant of God, I explained my experience about the Basilica. I told him when I first heard about it, about the perceptions of our friends, how uncomfortable I was when the locals told me how wonderful it was, and how nervous I was being there. And then I asked the question: Where is the tabernacle? Where is Jesus in all this? 

He told me Jesus was on the other side of the church. Confession was on the left wing of the altar, Adoration and the tabernacle was in the right wing. 

I tried to be respectful as I exclaimed, "Why? Isn't Jesus supposed to be in the middle? Why is He on the side of the church? Why is He not in the center? Isn't Jesus supposed to be the center of our church? Our Faith? Our Lives?" I could tell he understood everything I said completely. (Praise God!)

 He then leaned back in his chair and said, "Okay...   For you and me, God is the center of our lives, right?" I shook my head yes. "Good. But many people come to see the miracle. They don't have God as their center. As they come closer to the rock, Mary offers more than just sharing the miracle of the rock. She offers the miracle of her LIVING Son through the sacraments. All day, everyday, there is perpetual Adoration, there is a priest offering the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and there is Mass multiple times of the day. As people come closer, they have opportunities to personally encounter the Living God."

"Oh…Wow," was all I could say for a moment. We then continued on with the beautiful sacrament of Reconciliation. In the end, I thanked him for his service and he thanked me for mine. We blessed each other as we went our separate ways, promising to pray for each other. Isn't that cool? 

I looked again at the front of the church as I headed for Adoration. This time I could see a little clearer. Under the rock, I saw a display of  the crucifixion. It screamed deep humility. How God was so humble to become human and die for love of us. And He would do it all over again... ANYTHING for us to be with him. He even provides miracles for us to draw closer to Him. To offer something much more than a miraculous rock, to pursue us. He used a humble virgin to shine His light for us to draw closer to Him and He uses US (you and me) to help lead people to our Living God as well. 

In Adoration I had to apologize and say thank you. He didn't owe me an explanation. He's God and I'm not, right?  Even so, He gave me a little gift of grace by providing a small glimpse of His work in this situation. I felt just like Job. I praised Him for His patience and love for me.  As I was crying with gratitude I heard, "Relax. I got this."  Once again I had to agree. Yes you do, Lord. Yes you do.



                 



Popular Posts