A Reminder to Myself

 The word of the LORD came to me, saying:

            Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,

                        before you were born I dedicated you,

                        a prophet to the nations I appointed you.


            But do you gird your loins;

                        stand up and tell them

                        all that I command you.

            Be not crushed on their account,

                        as though I would leave you crushed before them;

            for it is I this day

                        who have made you a fortified city,

            a pillar of iron, a wall of brass,

                        against the whole land:

            against Judah’s kings and princes,

                        against its priests and people.

            They will fight against you but not prevail over you,

                        for I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD.

Jer 1:4-5, 17-19



Last Saturday, I met with a group of prayer warriors and we discussed the reading above, right after I asked for prayers from the long list of “unknowns” and  “concerns” that have been plaguing our family recently. One beautiful lady said, ‘Well, this reading reminds of the Waldrops…” and continued to encourage me to “gird my loins” and remember that God is with us.


I kind of figured “gird my loins” was to get ready or be strong, but I looked it up anyway and found this great illustration:

 



Cool, huh? 


I am not sure where I picked up that this life would be easy for our family, especially spiritually. Weren’t we taught and didn’t we read in scripture that challenges are bound to happen when we follow Christ? One would think we would have greater confidence knowing what God has done for us already, so why would we question if something doesn’t happen the way we planned it? It may not always be difficult, but difficulties can’t be avoided either.  


I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” - John 16:33


We are not even in the field yet, and already I am reminded of my frailty and where my strength comes from. Whether we come across struggles, sickness, and even death, we remember that we are ultimately at the service of our Lord, who has always been faithful - even now. 


Lord, help us to have complete faith - the faith of the hemorrhaging woman, the centurion, and the persistent widow - and allow us to see your faithfulness and attain Your peace again. Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts